How To Root OnePlus 3, Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP Recovery
OnePlus 3 is the latest smartphone manufactured by OnePlus and has become one of the most powerful smartphones to date. This smartphone has a Snapdragon 820 processor, 6GB of RAM with 64GB of storage which is more than enough for any modern user. Of course, this smartphone uses the Android operating system .
One of the security measures that Android uses is the restriction of access to the most core parts of the system, for example, kernel files and base level settings. However, there are power users who always like to have full control over their gadgets. For using some advanced applications, you will need root permissions to access the core parts of the system.
In this guide, we will see teach you how to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP Recovery and get Root access on OnePLus 3. The TWRP Recovery allows us to install customized ROM, manage system partitions, create backups and much more. Root access allows us to have free access to the device’s system.
Rooting will NOT void warranty of OnePlus 3.
- OnePlus 3 smartphone
- USB Connection cable
- adb/fastboot (DOWNLOAD)
- TWRP Recovery (DOWNLOAD)
- SuperSU-Beta (DOWNLOAD)
Step 1 – How to Install adb/fastboot
- Go here to download the SDK of Android.
- During the download, you create a folder in “C:\” drive called “SDK” (C:\SDK). After downloading the zip file, you can extract the contents of the folder to “C: \ SDK “
- Go to C: \ SDK \android-sdk-windows and open “SDK Manager.exe “
- In SDK Manager, download and install the following packages:
Tools> Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools
Extras> Android Support Library, Google USB Driver
- Once you have installed everything, go to “C: \ SDK ” where you should notice that there are some new directories, one of them ” platform-tools”, inside that folder you should have ” fastboot.exe ” and “adb.exe “. To verify that adb is properly installed, the directory folder Fastboot/ADB , hold the “Shift key”, click the right button of the mouse and click on “Open Command Window Here”, and give this command:
If it returns a version number for the Android Debug then everything works as it should and you’re good to go.
Step 2 – How to Unlock OnePlus 3 Bootloader
- From your device go to ” Settings -> About phone”, scroll down and click ” build number ” continuously until a message on the screen will not be shown.
- Go back to your “Menu Settings “, and access ” Developer Options “, scroll down and click on Enable OEM Unlock check box, be sure to activate the USB debug.
- Connect your phone to your PC via cable USB.
- Now go to the Fastboot/ADB directory folder, hold the “Shift ” key, click the right button of the mouse and click on ” Open Command Window Here “;
- In the terminal window you just opened, type:
This command must return the number of the device, if not you should make sure that the drivers are properly installed on the PC.
- Type this command next
adb reboot bootloader
- After the restart, type in the terminal window, type:
fastboot oem unlock
This command will delete all user data from the device!
- Now you should see a screen on your phone asking you to confirm the action, use the volume keys to scroll and the power button to confirm if you are sure you want to move forward;
- Let the tool do its thing, and complete the process with this command:
After finishing the procedure, you can disconnect the USB cable. Congratulations, the OnePlus 3 bootloader is now unlocked!
Step 3 – How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 3
Note: This procedure requires unlocked bootloader.
- Download the file of Recovery
- Turn off the device
- Connect your device to your computer using a cable USB
- Copy in the same directory Fastboot / ADB the file Recovery
- Now to start the Bootloader Mode by the command
adb reboot bootloader
- Now go to the directory folder Fastboot/ADB , hold the “Shift ” key, click the right button of the mouse and click on ” Open Command Window Here “;
In the terminal window you just opened, type:
fastboot flash recovery oneplus3-TWRP-recovery.img
- Press send and wait for the installation of Recovery
- Use the volume buttons to scroll and Power button to select the option Restart Bootloader. Once the phone has booted back into bootloader you can use the volume buttons to scroll and Power button to start the classic TWRP Recovery screen.
- Now you can disconnect the device from the cable USB.
Step 4 – Obtaining the Root permission
Note: This procedure requires TWRP Recovery.
- Download the SuperSU file.
- Start the device in Recovery mode (TWRP).
- Select “Install” and then click on “SuperSU ” file.
- After the procedure is over, restart the device.
If you experience any problems, please write a comment below and we will try to help as soon as possible.